On 3 Jul 2011, at 12:49 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I just started playing around with iOS 4 and Xcode 4.  Learning the ropes of
> the new Xcode I see a difference in how the project templates are used to
> create a simple Cocoa window app in iOS versus Mac OS X.
>
> With iOS, the app delegate handler code .h file does not declare the window
> pointer variable which I see is prefixed with an underscore as in _window.
>
> With Mac OS X, the app delegate handler .ht file does indeed create an
> instance variable for window and it does not have the prepended underscore.
>
> Can someone describe why this was done (differently) if there is a purpose to
> this?  Where is the _window instance variable created?

Right now, I don't have access to the tool set you're probably using, but I
believe the iOS template relies on the ability of the @synthesize directive of
the modern Objective-C runtime to create backing variables for @property
declarations. (Am I right that the header you're looking at includes a window
@property?) iOS is guaranteed to be running the modern runtime, whereas 32-bit
Mac OS X does not.

As for a leading underscore, it's a matter of coding style, on which Apple
never really settled (unless they're settling now). I see the merit of putting
a special mark on instance variables, but I admit I haven't done it since I
last used PowerPlant.

Your question implies that you expect more parallels between AppKit and UIKit
than would be helpful to you.

        — F