On Jul 9, 2011, at 8:32 PM, William Squires wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2011, at 9:49 PM, Ken Thomases wrote:
>
>> On Jul 8, 2011, at 8:16 PM, William Squires wrote:
>>
>>> I've got the UI laid out, including the  NSTableView (for displaying the
>>> NSDictionarys in the NSMutableArray, NSTextFields for each individual
>>> column (so that when you select a row, that row's info shows up in the
>>> NSTextField's, and one NSSearchField (not implemented yet.)
>>
>> I assume you mean that the table columns use NSTextFieldCell as their cell
>> type.  Right?
>>
>  No, I mean that the window contains NSTextFields and an NSTableView. When a
> row is selected in the table view, the corresponding values in each column
> also appear in the NSTextFields so the user (me) can edit them.
>  The table view (cells) is/are not editable, nor is there any intention of
> making the cells editable, just like you wouldn't make the cells in a
> UITableView (root view controller) editable - touching would expand them
> (push another edit view controller) to another view where the user can edit
> the info. If the edited info is something that the root view controller loads
> into the cell, then when the view controller is done, and popped off, then
> the root view controller will [<container> reloadData] to redisplay, instead.
> A good example is the Contacts.app on an iPhone/iPod Touch.
>  In this case (the MacOS X app I'm making), there is no extra view; the info
> is simply displayed in the NSTextFields (configured as editable text fields,
> not labels), along with two NSButtons (configures as check boxes), and an
> NSComboBox (to select time zone the store is in) above the NSTableView.

Well, the table view must have some sort of cells to display its contents.  So
what I previously wrote would apply to those.

With these separate controls, you have what's often called a master-detail
interface.[1]  You can bind those controls to the array controller, with a key
path of @"selection.<property>".  So, as the selection within the table view is
changed, it will adjust the selection that's tracked by the array controller,
which will result in the detail controls being updated.

Regards,
Ken

[1]
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaBindings/Tasks/masterdetail.html