I am trying to decode a 3rd party archive encoded in the old NSArchiver (not
keyed) format. At a point in the decoding, I expect to find a CGRect, but when
I call

[coder decodeValueOfObjCType:@encode(CGRect) at:&myRect]

an exception is raised with the error:

file inconsistency: read '{?={?=ff}{?=ff}}', expecting
'{CGRect={CGPoint=dd}{CGSize=dd}}'

Sure enough, if I open the file in a text editor, I see {?={?=ff}{?=ff}}.

According to the docs, the curly braces indicate a structure is encoded, which
I would expect for CGRect, but the ? indicates an unknown type. I'm stumped for
a solution and was wondering if anyone might have an insight.