OK, as usual, 10 minutes after sending the email to the list, something new
turns up.

The *only* time that this problem occurs is when the drag source is the table
view in the Color Palettes section of the Color panel.

Still no idea what's causing it, but at least the problem is narrowed down.

And I found that after reordering my table view, dragging a color from the
color palettes to an ordinary colorwell causes the same crash - in fact, even
initiating a drag from the color palettes and then letting it slide back
triggers the problem.

Regards