On Jul 19, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Vincent wrote:

> I'm facing a little dilemma: in a modal dialog, I'd like to create a new core
> data entity with -[aNSArrayControllerInEntityMode insert:] and initialize
> some attributes of this new entity.

I know it’s considered rude to answer a coding question with a UI critique, but
the best solution would really be to avoid using a modal dialog at all. They’re
a poor user experience compared to a sheet or some other kind of in-window
display, and as you’ve seen, they can cause complications with runloops.

> However, the creation and insertion of the new entity is delayed one run loop
> iteration; but, in a modal dialog, the run loop is stopped! So, what I am to
> do? Use -[NSApp beginModalSessionForWindow:] and -[NSApp
> endModalSessionForWindow:] instead of just [NSApp runModalForWindow:]?

The runloop isn’t stopped, it’s just running nested in a different mode
(NSModalPanelRunloopMode). But most API methods that schedule things only
schedule them in the default runloop mode, so they won’t get time to run while
a model panel is up. The workaround is to use variant scheduling methods that
take an array of runloop modes (usually it’s an extra parameter like
“inModes:”), and explicitly let them run in the modal mode.