On 2011 Jul 23, at 06:28, Ryan Joseph wrote:

> I'm trying to debug a crash with a user but there is no crash report to be
> found in Console.app

What does the word "crash" mean to this user?

>  Any ideas or suggestions?

Don't annoy users by asking them to be computer techs, and don't rely on their
answers to technical questions.

If a user is having trouble, send them a script.  Ask them to just run the
script and send you the results.

You can download my script from here.

http://sheepsystems.com/files/SSYTroubleZipper.app

It surfs to our privacy policy, asks the user a few questions about how much
personal information they'd like to include, filters the system console log,
gets crash logs, versions of my app, versions of related apps, a list of
launchd agents, a list of Internet Plug-Ins, document files, my app's
Application Support, Preferences, bookmarks files (since my apps are bookmarks
managers), other stuff I've forgotten and, of course, a system profile.  Then
it zips it all up, starts a self-addressed email message and asks the user to
send it.

If you've got a simple Mac App Store type of app which does not interact with
the system, your needs will be much simpler.  Snip the parts that you need into
your script.

You can make it even easier.  My latest app's help Menu has a Trouble Zipper
item.  When a user clicks that item, it downloads the latest script from that
link, unzips and launches it.