Graham, I'm not calling drawRect.  The button click goes to another module
in the program, all the code in that module works fine, then it calls the
module that has the NSView, executes the code for creating all the lines and
shapes, and then tries to get the new graphics to display.  I've tried
(among other things):

   [super setNeedsDisplay : YES];

[SequeraStepWindow setNeedsDisplay : YES];

[self setNeedsDisplay : YES];

[SequeraStepWindow display];

[self display];

[super display];

When I run the code that displays the graphics in question on initialization
it works fine, but when I call it later in the program it the new graphics
are not displayed.  The code in the graphics module that displays the window
is working perfectly, but somehow drawRect never gets called after it is
called during initialization.