On 2011 Jul 24, at 01:46, Roland King wrote:

> does core data implement setFoo: by *always* calling the primitive method,
> setPrimativeFoo:

Well, it is documented that Core Data's implementation of setFoo: is equivalent

- (void)setFoo:(id)newValue  {
    [self willChangeValueForKey:@"foo"] ;
    [self setPrimitiveFoo:newValue] ;
    [self didChangeValueForKey:@"foo"] ;
}

There are no branching statements in there.

> or do I need to add the code in both setFoo: and setPrimitiveFoo:?

It's better than either case you've proffered.  I've always put my custom
behaviors in setFoo:.  The only time I've ever messed with setPrimitiveFoo: is
when debugging.