On Jul 24, 2011, at 11:41 AM, Tom Jeffries wrote:

> Jens, I'm sorry if my naming conventions confuse you. I've been programming
> for 27 years on a wide variety of operating systems, and I'm afraid following
> Cocoa naming conventions is not high on my list.

OK. It’s 33 years in my case, 15 of them at Apple. I don’t know if you work in
a team, but one of the things you lean is that coding conventions are really
important if you want other people to understand your code. And asking other
developers on a mailing list for help with your code is an instance of that. If
they can’t figure out what it means easily, they’re not going to bother to try
to figure out what’s wrong with it. (And using terms like ‘function’ and
‘variable’ in ways that don’t match accepted usage doesn’t help, either.)

The other detailed stuff I was going to say has already been echoed by other
people.

At a high level: what you’ve been saying so far indicates that you have some
basic confusion about object-oriented programming and Objective-C. There’s
nothing wrong with that; OOP is rather different than procedural coding, and
Objective-C is a more classically object-oriented language than C++ or Java (it
was directly inspired by Smalltalk, the first major OO language.) But I think
that you should put your app on the back burner for a little while, read up on
the Objective-C language, and try some simpler examples.

I really don’t mean to sound patronizing. For comparison, I’ve been trying to
learn some functional programming languages (Erlang, Scala) and find the whole
approach pretty confusing. If I started trying to write a serious app in either
of those, I’d probably get into a mess. So I’m trying to start slow and
acclimate myself to the concepts. Which is what I’m advising you to do too.