On Jul 26, 2011, at 7:04 AM, James Merkel <jmerk...@mac.com> wrote:

> Yeah, it looks like I can't use CIImage because of the memory leak.
> Every time an image is opened, the memory footprint increases by the size of
> the image.
> Using CIImage was kind of a cul-de-sac.

I don't see how this is unexpected behavior. You opened an image; shouldn't the
image be in memory?

> So now it looks like I have to use CGImage and figure out how to get a
> CGImageRef into an NSImageView which is ultimately how the image is displayed.

I'm pretty sure all image loading in the frameworks is done with ImageIO.
You're not going to escape it by using CGImage.

Can you explain more about why you think this is a problematic leak and how it
adversely affects you?

You might also try posting on quartz-dev.

--Kyle Sluder