hi all,

oh man i hate to belabor this issue but i have studied every suggestion and
the docs and i cannot figure this out

the problem is that i cannot get command keys to work on dialog text, even
dialogs run and managed by cocoa

as suggested i set the target for my menu items to nil, and also made sure
that in my app menu bar the needed items were active

after doing this when a dialog is up and you cut text you see the menu
flash, there is no beep, but the text is still not cut

if a dialog is not up and you hit command-x you also see the menu flash and
there is no beep, so this was perhaps imaginary progress

i have various other windows in my app for text editing and all of them work
fine and get their command keys no problem

in textedit for example the text in the open file dialog can be edited with
the app menu, and the menu reacts to the text, for example you can't cut if
there is no selection

my menus have setAutoEnablesItems:NO and i enable them as needed but they
are enabled when dialogs are up

i'm not sure the issues raised so far are related to the problem. its as if
the dialogs in my app are not in the responder chain for key events

best

bill