I’ve got an iOS screen that incorporates a UITableView. This screen is run by a
UIViewController subclass. I’d like to subclass UITableViewController instead,
to get more table behaviors for free. The problem I’m running into is that the
table view is not the root view of my nib. (There’s a text field above the
table that’s a sibling of it.)

As far as I can tell, UITableViewController only works when the table is the
root of the nib. It does have a separate ‘tableView’ property, but this isn’t
an IBOutlet so there’s no way to wire it up to the table view in the nib.
Instead, the class assumes that the ‘view’ outlet — which must point to the
nib’s root view — is the table view, and raises an assertion failure otherwise.

I’m trying to figure out a way around this, but every workaround I think of
makes the project more complicated, canceling out the benefit of switching to
UITableViewController. Is there a clean way of doing it that I’m missing?

—Jens