I think you need to set the resizing mask for the layer as well - since you're
creating this yourself, it's your responsibility:

zCALayerRoot.autoresizingMask = kCALayerWidthSizable | kCALayerHeightSizable;

If you want the layer to redraw its content when it resizes, you also have to
set:

zCALayerRoot.needsDisplayOnBoundsChange = YES;

but that's not necessary for the background host layer unless it has content
other than its background colour to draw.

--Graham