I've got a zombie appearing in the weirdest place in my program.  Here is the
relevant part of the code, using generic names for the methods:

-(void)setUp;
-(void)start;
-(void)changeWords:(NSTimer*)theTimer;
-(NSArray *)wordsInPhrase:(NSString *)thePhrase;

@property (nonatomic, assign) int numWords;
@property (nonatomic, assign) NSUInt wordChangeInterval;
@property (nonatomic, copy) NSString *phrase;
@property (nonatomic, copy) NSArray *words;
@property (nonatomic, copy) NSTimer *wordChangeTimer;

…

- (id)init
{
   self = [super init];
   if (self) {
       phrase = [[NSString stringWithString:@"This is the phrase to display"]
retain];
       wordChangeInterval = 0.2;
   }
   return self;
}

-(void)setUp
{
   words = [[self wordsFromPhrase:phrase]] retain];
   [self start];
}

-(NSArray *)wordsInPhrase:(NSString *)thePhrase
{
   NSArray *wordArray;

   [wordArray arrayByAddingObjectsFromArray:[phrase
componentsSeparatedByString:@" "]];
   numWords = [wordArray count];
   return wordArray;
}

- (void) start
{
   currentWordIndex = 0;
   wordChangeTimer = [[NSTimer
scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval:wordChangeInterval
                                                       target:self

selector:@selector(changeWords:)
                                                     userInfo:nil
                                                      repeats:YES] retain];
}

- (void)changeWords:(NSTimer*)theTimer
{
   currentWordIndex += 1;
   if (currentWordIndex > numWords)
       currentWordIndex = 0;
   messageLayer.string = [self.words objectAtIndex:currentWordIndex];
}

Now, the strangeness: words exists and is OK in setUpDisplay and startDisplay
in that it contains the right words from the phrase.  But in changeWords:,
somehow words is nil.  I'm at a loss to figure out how words could be released
between start and changeWords:.  I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Scott
Dr. Scott Steinman
Brought to you by a grant from the Steinman Foundation (Thanks, Mom and Dad!)
Recommended by Major University Studies Over the Leading Brand
drsteinman at comcast dot net

I hope I die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. . .not screaming in
terror like his passengers. -- "Deep Thoughts", Jack Handy