According to the AppKit release notes:

"Note that Xcode 4.2 defaults to ARC when creating new projects, and in the
WWDC seed release, as well as in the latest version available at the time 10.7
ships, generates outlet declarations that are strong. This is true for outlets
generated in new projects as well as when adding new outlet declarations from
Interface Builder. In most cases these should be changed to weak (zeroing or
not) to avoid cycles that may cause leaks."