On Aug 9, 2011, at 9:42 AM, Eric Matecki wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Yes I'm talking about scanner devices.
> But I don't have to support versions EARLIER than 10.5, but from 10.5 to 10.7.
>
> So is it twain or ICA ?

In our SOHO Notes product, we use:
* IKScannerDeviceView if the user is using Snow Leopard or later,
* ICA if the user is using Leopard, and
* TWAIN if the user has no devices attached that are supported by Image
Capture, but still wants to scan.

There is nothing newer than ICA on Leopard. Don't use ICA under Snow Leopard;
due to a regression it crashes after its window is closed. Besides,
IKScannerDeviceView is far better than ICA. And TWAIN is the option of absolute
last resort, and doesn't work correctly in 64-bit apps anyway because most
TWAIN drivers are 32-bit only.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>