On 4 Aug 2011, at 20:25, Quincey Morris wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2011, at 03:12, Daniel Vollmer wrote:
>
>> On 3 Aug 2011, at 19:20, Quincey Morris wrote:
>>
>>> By modifying the frame of what? You should be changing the scroll view
>>> frame, but you make it sound like you're changing the table view frame.
>>
>> The frame of the tableview. I want the scrollview to stay the same size,
>> only to display half of twice as much content (i.e. display the left half of
>> the original content in twice as much detail, with the ability to scroll
>> over to the 2nd half).
>
> If you want to have other "content" that scrolls along with the table view
> inside the scroll view (which I *think* is what you're trying to do), then
> the correct way to do it is to enclose the table view (along with its own
> scroll view) and the associated content in a containing scroll view (which
> means the table view's scroll view and the other content will be enclosed in
> a custom view that's the outer scroll view's document view). The "inner"
> scroll view would be set to autoresize, so it basically has no effect, all
> the resizing being driven by the outer scroll view.

I finally managed what I set out to do:
http://www.maven.de/code/cocoa/scrollview_wowplot.mov (example movie).

I subclassed NSTableView so that the size of the column is also resized on
setFrame: messages. This then allowed me to use animation proxies for the
zooming (achieved by animating the tableView's frame.size (inside the
scrollView) as well as the clipView's bounds.origin).