On 12 Aug 2011, at 6:27 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

> When I change the origin of view I assume the system is smart enough
> to copy content over. So what could be a reason to use UIScrollView
> (or NSClipView on Mac) for this? I assume 3) should be the worst
> option as it redraws the complete content. But maybe I am also just
> completely off.

If you have access to the videos from WWDC 2010, have a look at session 102
(Mastering iPhone Scroll Views). It shows how to scroll and zoom large images
without having to keep the full contents in memory.

Also session 104, (Designing Apps with Scroll Views).

There's no reason (though someone will probably chime in with a perverse case)
not to use a UIScrollView. It gives you scrolling and zooming for very little
trouble, has almost no side effects on the content you're displaying, and works
the way the user expects it.

        — F