If the C strings are being read in from a file, you can use the
stringWithContentsOfFile:usedEncoding:error: or
initWithContentsOfFile:usedEncoding:error: methods which will
try to guess the encoding and return the string and the encoding
it used back to you.  But even these methods are just guessing
at the encoding.

- h