It sounds like you're getting the index path you expect, but you're just
surprised that cellForRowAtIndexPath: with that index path returns nil when
it's scrolled out of view. If I'm reading that correctly, then this is correct
behavior. Note the comment in UITableView.h:

- (UITableViewCell *)cellForRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath;
// returns nil if cell is not visible or index path is out of range

Luke