Hi Brian,

I've normally solved this using an integer for the value and enumerate that to
stand for different states of the bug. I'm not sure if there's a clever way to
use an enum in conjunction with core data, so it may become a headache to
'remember' what each value stands for, but if you only have a few states, then
it should be straightforward. Then you bind the selectedIndex of the popup
button, say, rather than the selectedObject.

Cheers,

Martin

On Aug 19, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Brian Norh wrote:

> Hello.
>
> When I'm using Core Data I'm sometimes in a situation where I have an
> attribute than can only have a specific set of possible values. As an
> example let's say that you make a bug tracker and you have an entity
> called Bug. Then it's possible that you want an attribute for the
> state that the bug is in. Let's say that possible states are Open,
> Closed and In Progress.
>
> What I've done so far is that I've had attributes like that defined as
> strings. Usually I've had a combo box or a radio group in the user
> interface and the possible input values have been defined by what the
> possible selections the combo box or radio group offers.
>
> One of the problems with this approach is that it doesn't work if the
> application is localized it into a different language. Then the word
> which indicates the state is stored differently depending on the
> current language. I need to save the selection in a language
> independent manner.
>
> How would you do that?
>
> I've tried to find an answer in the Core Data Programming Guide and
> I've also searched the list archives. I'm not really sure what the
> appropriate terminology for this specific kind of attribute would be
> so it could be that I'm just using the wrong search terms or I'm just
> not looking at the right place. So if this question have already been
> answered then a link to that thread or even a let-me-google-it-for-you
> would be helpful.
>
> Brian
>
> This email sent to martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de

Martin Hewitson
Albert-Einstein-Institut
Max-Planck-Institut fuer
    Gravitationsphysik und Universitaet Hannover
Callinstr. 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany
Tel: +49-511-762-17121, Fax: +49-511-762-5861
E-Mail: martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de
WWW: http://www.aei.mpg.de/~hewitson