On 21 Aug 2011, at 15:43, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> On 2011 Aug 21, at 05:02, Luc Van Bogaert wrote:
>
>> Adding a windowcontroller to the mainmenu nib also doesn't work, as the
>> windowcontrollers should be instantiated from my document objects. right?
>
> That is correct.
>
>> So, that leaves me the option to use the First Responder object. This does
>> work, but I'm still wondering if maybe there is a better approach.
>
> There is no better approach.  "First Responder Magic" is a good thing to use.

OK, thanks.

But this still leaves me with the question of how to reference my
windowcontroller objects from the mainmenu nib? I need this because I want to
modify the title of some menu items, depending on the state of the document
windows. So I would like to make my windowcontroller objects menu delegates.

I thought about using an application delegate as file's owner in the mainmenu
nib, and then target the menu items from this delegate. From the app delegate I
can reference the window using keyWindow, but I haven't found a way to
reference the windowcontroller objects...