It seems a work-around is to append a space to the select-statement, mysql does
not care about that and it brings the umlaut-problem to cease in
select-statements. Does this only cover some other issue that is going to
return, or is this valid? I found a thread talking about the length with
umlauts being not clear to answer in some cases which lead me to try this. It
doesn't seem like a feature, but I wouldn't know what to log a bug against.

In this context I also observed some bug in Xcode. Using opt-arrow in a text to
move through the text in Cocoa apps allows to skip an entire word, not only a
single character. But skipping over somewordAÜsomeotherwordB will not bring the
cursor from before the s to after the d, but instead hop from s to after A to
after Ü to after B.