It seems that when the image (or data in general) is larger than 1MB, it's
stored in a hidden folder in the same place as your main database. For example,
if the application is called MyLionApp and its persistent store is located in
the ~/Library/MyLionApp folder, the external files would be stored in
~/Library/MyLionApp/.MyLionApp_SUPPORT/_EXTERNAL_DATA/.

The documentation is indeed very sparse, so I've investigated a bit myself and
posted the results here :

http://bluecrowbar.com/blog/2011/08/coredata-external.html

Steven