On Sep 6, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Joar Wingfors wrote:

> There's an additional consideration to keep in mind - @synthesized getters
> use the retain+autorelease pattern which makes local variables acquired from
> such getters "safer" in certain (unusual) usage patterns.

And considerably more expensive in all cases, since calling a getter now
involves messing with retain counts and autorelease pools. It also means the
getter method has to contain a whole register-saving preamble and postamble
instead of just the couple of instructions to pull out the ivar value.

At the time ObjC-2 was in development there was a debate within Apple about
whether to make ‘nonatomic’ be the default, with an ‘atomic’ keyword to enable
the safety features. I really wish it had gone that way.