I quickly wrote up a little program to test out mmap()'ing one of the 1GB
files. It works, no kernel changes needed, and it only takes 0.871 secs!
(51.209 secs if Time Machine is running ;)  So, I'm stunned that this would be
so much faster than using individual fread() calls for each element. (The 0.871
timing doesn't include the individual matrix element assignments into the
memory map and other initialization processing, but that should only take a
second or two.)  If this really is doing what I think its doing, I will
definitely go this way and just fire off a new process for each request.

Thanks to all who replied, lots of great ideas!