On Sep 21, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Quincey Morris wrote:

> I'm not seeing this behavior in gdb (with Xcode 4.2).
>
> In Xcode 3, if you tried to set a breakpoint on (say) 'keyDown:', Xcode would
> pop up a sheet listing all the different matching symbols (all the methods in
> the various classes where 'keyDown:' was defined). You could check any
> combination, and there was a Set All button to check them all.
>
> In Xcode 4, I just tried setting a breakpoint on 'keyDown:' -- just that with
> no additional punctuation or qualification. If the app isn't running yet, the
> symbolic breakpoint is just added to the list but isn't resolved yet. When
> the application runs, I get a set of nested breakpoints, one for each of the
> definitions, and I can enable or disable each individually. The app does stop
> at any of the enabled sub-breakpoints.
>
> In Xcode 4, I tried setting the same symbolic breakpoint and then running
> with lldb. This time the breakpoint didn't multi-resolve upon running, and
> the app didn't stop when a key was pressed.
>
> So, it seems like symbolic resolution isn't finished in lldb yet, and there's
> something else going on your project that's causing the gdb crash.

I made a brand new project in Xcode 4.1 and got the same results as before. gdb
crashes when just using a method name like 'keyDown:' for the symbolic
breakpoint. It would appear that this has been fixed in Xcode 4.2. Also you
have accurately described the breakpoint multi-resolve upon running along with
the breakpoint list functionality. I would agree that it appears that symbolic
resolution is not finished yet in lldb.

Another question, is it possible in Xcode 4 to set a symbolic breakpoint on
Apple supplied libraries or frameworks? For example in OpenGL Profiler you can
set a breakpoint on a specific OpenGL symbol that is provided by an Apple
library or framework.

--Richard