On Sep 23, 2011, at 7:21 PM, Charles Srstka wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2011, at 6:06 PM, Greg Parker wrote:
>>
>> Nib connection on iOS uses KVC. Nib connection on OS X does not use KVC
>> itself, but it does use a similar "call method if it exists, set ivar
>> directly if it does not" algorithm.
>
> But how does that work? If I make the IBOutlet an ivar, make it @private, and
> have +accessInstanceVariablesDirectly return NO, trying to access this ivar
> directly from another object causes a compiler error, and trying to access it
> via KVC throws a “not key value coding-compliant for the key <outlet name>”
> exception. Yet the nib loading mechanism is still able to set the ivar. I’ve
> always been curious about why exactly this works.

On OS X, nib connection does not use KVC. Since it's not using KVC, it pays no
attention to KVC machinery like +accessInstanceVariablesDirectly.

The OS X nib connection implementation calls object_setInstanceVariable(). This
function, like all of the runtime's introspection functions, ignores
compile-time access controls.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler