On Sep 26, 2011, at 9:22 PM, Quincey Morris wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2011, at 19:03 , Ariel Feinerman wrote:
>
>> if I use persistence NSMutableArray as content array in NSArrayController so
>> [arrayController setContent: m_array]; will controller copy one or retain?
>
> The array controller will *observe* the array, not copy it.

I will take your word for how the controller is internally managing its content
as I haven't inspected it, but although it is true that the controller should
not copy the object (otherwise the docs should require that the content object
conform to NSCopying), how the controller content is internally managed is not
documented and shouldn't be relied on. Setting content is the same as setting
any object property, and how the object is managed is no business of the setter.

>> So every deletion or addition in the controller will come back to origin.
>
> Yes.

Again, this isn't guaranteed since it relies to how the controller may be
managing its content.

>> Or we must synchronize one or get from controller to write to url?
>
> No, you don't have to either of those things.
>
> However, if you modify the array directly, you have to do it KVO compliantly,
> or the array controller won't see the change.

Again, same issue. When not using bindings, you shouldn't rely on the behavior,
even if it happens to work (for now)...

In sum, if you want synchronization without glue code, use bindings. If you
don't need to manage the array outside of the controller you can retrieve the
array contents when you need it as well...

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.