On 27 Sep 2011, at 22:03, glenn andreas wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2011, at 9:53 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann wrote:
>

>>> In general, what happens if you temporarily remove the locale and time zone
>>> settings?
>> The time zone settings have been already removed, because setting the locale
>> also sets the time zone.
>

> NSLocale has no idea about time zones - the two are orthogonal.  NSLocale
> does know what NSCalendar to use (so doing setLocale: should mean that you
> don't need to do setCalendar:), but a given locale can have more than one
> time zone, and a single time zone can potentially cross multiple locales.
>
> Not that that probably has a whole lot to do with NSDateFormatter returning
> empty strings...

The documentation says about dateStyles: "Do not use these constants if you
want an exact format".

When I do: [ dateFormatter setDateStyle: NSDateFormatterFullStyle ]
it prints: "Tuesday 27 September 2011"
and when I add:         [ dateFormatter setTimeStyle: NSDateFormatterFullStyle ]
it prints: "Tuesday 27 September 2011 23:18:16 Indochina Time"

Note that it was initialized with the dateFormat "EEE dd MMMM yyyy HH:mm:ss"

All rather confusing - but at least I get some output.

The reason for using dateFormatter was that I needed:

        NSArray *monthSymbols = [ dateFormatter monthSymbols ];
        NSArray *shortWeekdaySymbols = [ dateFormatter shortWeekdaySymbols ];

Is there a more direct way to get at these localized strings, without a
dateFormatter?
Maybe NSUserDefaults?

Kind regards,

Gerriet.