Chris,

I am trying to get Quicklook working in an app of mine. I'm not sure all these details are relevant, but better to have more than less info. I have a table that shows the number of files in certain folders on a network volume. In one column is the number of files, another column shows the first couple files names, as a string that was concatenated. My data object for each row has an array that stores NSURL's of all of the files.ÝI want the quicklook to show previews for all the files in the folder.

So far I am successful in storing the NSURL's and to retrieve them. When I bring up the quicklook panel, I can see the number of items, it displays a generic icon of the first file, and I can cycle through to other files, and it displays the name of each file correctly. BUT, the preview panel will not show me a real icon or preview of any file, only the generic blank white page icon. If I override the panel methods: - (id <QLPreviewItem>)previewPanel:(QLPreviewPanel *)panel previewItemAtIndex:(NSInteger)index
and
- (NSURL *)previewItemURL

to return an NSURL to a file on my hard drive, then the quicklook preview works properly and I see the actual image of the PDF. If I override those methods to use a hard coded NSURL to the same file on a network volume, the generic blank white-document icon shows up. So, what am I missing? I don't understand why this works locally but not on a network volume. The Finder shows the network item's quicklook preview properly.

Do you get any error messages in Console.app when you try to display the network file in Quicklook?

I have found that this framework sometimes emits helpful messages if there are problems...

Yours,
--
Norbert M. Doerner
CEO, West-Forest-Systems