On Oct 6, 2011, at 9:54 AM, Gary L. Wade wrote:

> I'm guessing you're wanting this for invalid characters as well as exceeded
> number of characters? It sounds like an intriguing extension to the UI. It
> might be easier to flash a red translucent overlay on the field contents
> instead.

Or some little red arrow icon next to it, as on some web sites. Or if on Lion,
a popover attached to the text field with an explanation of the error. Or a
small label underneath showing a count of remaining characters, that turns red
once the length goes over.

The last one is something that I've actually used. I like it because it allows
the user to enter what he's thinking without interruption, then edit it until
it fits. "Banging into the end" and not being able to enter more, going back
and deleting a few characters, then going to the end and typing a few more, and
repeating until you figure out an abbreviated form that fits is much more
tedious.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com