I haven't been following this thread closely, so I may be talking about the
wrong thing here, but I just noticed I can cycle through the status items, and
some of them (e.g. istat menus and apple items) are selectable with ctrl-f8
then arrow keys, and some not (e.g. dropbox). So it seems like it's possible,
in principle. Don't know if that helps.

Martin

On Oct 10, 2011, at 02:02 AM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> On 2011 Oct 09, at 22:26, John Joyce wrote:
>
>> For this reason, any menu item with a name can be assigned a keyboard
>> shortcut in OS X System Preferences by the user.
>
> Thank you, John, but it doesn't work for Status Items; not for me.
>
> True, in System Preferences ▸ Keyboard ▸ Keyboard Shortcuts, I can create a
> keyboard shortcut for any menu item with a name in the *main* menu.  And the
> keyboard shortcut is even shown in that menu.  But it does not work for the
> menus attached to non-Apple Status Items.  For example, I have a Dropbox
> Status Item.  The first item in its menu is "Open Dropbox Folder".  I just
> assigned this the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌥⌘O.  But the keyboard shortcut "⇧⌥⌘O"
> is *not* showing in the Dropbox Status Item, and when I type ⇧⌥⌘O, all that
> happens is a system alert beep.
>
> Actually, even if it did work, that's not what I want.  Because my status
> item's menu is populated dynamically, I want users to be able to navigate
> through it with the arrow keys, like I can do with the Apple Status Items
> after hitting the F8 key.
>
> Maybe there is a reason why Apple does not want non-Apple Status Items to be
> accessible to non-mouse-users.

> This email sent to martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de

Martin Hewitson
Albert-Einstein-Institut
Max-Planck-Institut fuer
    Gravitationsphysik und Universitaet Hannover
Callinstr. 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany
Tel: +49-511-762-17121, Fax: +49-511-762-5861
E-Mail: martin.hewit...@aei.mpg.de
WWW: http://www.aei.mpg.de/~hewitson