On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Koen van der Drift wrote:

> I'm looking to implement a simple iTunes/Mail like source list in an app, and
> have been rummaging through the internets for some decent tutorials and
> sample code. I found some, but they are all a bit outdated. Basically, I want
> to combine my Core Data model with an NSOutlineView and NSTreeController all
> connected through bindings. However, I've also come accross some websites (eg
> http://blog.wilshipley.com/2006/04/pimp-my-code-part-10-whining-about.html or
> http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?NSTreeController) that state that
> NSTreeController, Core Data and bindings are not really working well
> together, and I should use the datasource approach. Is this still the case,
> or has NSTreeController improved over the years and can it be used with
> bindings without any problems?

When Wil Shipley wrote his blog article in April 2006 the API was at the 10.4
Tiger level. Since then NSTreeController has had one method revised and six new
methods have been added in the 10.5 Leopard API. The 10.5 release notes also
talk about the improvements made to this class. So Apple has been working on
the class. Perhaps the bindings also work better.

--Richard