By "the new feature of Xcode 4.2," do you still mean Storyboard? Storyboard is
a feature in iOS 5 itself. Xcode 4.2 just provides an editor to support it.
There is no way to use a .storyboard in iOS 4.3 or earlier.

The business of weak-linking _other_ API is a red herring so far as you are
concerned. As DQ said, you can't as a practical matter work around the lack of
Storyboard without writing a major iOS 5 feature for yourself.

        — F