This interesting discussion reminded me of an Analyze warning I wanted
to resolve (under ARC):

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Greg Parker <gpar...@apple.com> wrote:
> If you are familiar with retain/release logic then you may find that
> CFBridgingRetain() and CFBridgingRelease()
> make more sense than __bridge_transfer and __bridge_retained.
[...]
> __bridge cast converts id to void* or void* to id with no retain count
> changes.

Is there an equivalent to autorelease for CF objects?

I have a routine that creates a CFSocketRef which will later be
assigned to the member variable of an object:
- (CFSocketRef)createDataSocketMonitor:(int)socket
                       withCallback:(CFSocketCallBack)socketCallBack
                     ofCallBackType:(CFSocketCallBackType)cbType
{
   CFSocketContext context = {0, (__bridge void*)self, NULL, NULL, NULL };
   CFSocketRef runSocket =
CFSocketCreateWithNative(kCFAllocatorDefault, socket, cbType,
socketCallBack, &context);

   if (!runSocket)
   {
      // ... Error logging, etc.
      return 0;
   }

   CFRunLoopSourceRef rls =
CFSocketCreateRunLoopSource(kCFAllocatorDefault, runSocket, 0);
   if (!rls)
   {
      // ... Error logging, etc.
      CFSocketInvalidate(runSocket);
      CFRelease(runSocket);
      return 0;
   }

   CFRunLoopAddSource(CFRunLoopGetCurrent (), rls, kCFRunLoopDefaultMode);
   CFRelease(rls);

   return runSocket;

LLVM complains here that runSocket leaves with a +1 state, and might
be leaked.  However, I'm pretty sure I don't want to release inside
this method because the socket might get cleaned up before my caller
can CFRetain the return value.

Is there a better approach to returning a CoreFoundation type from a
routine like this?

Thanks,

-Brent