Belated thanks for the various replies to my question. I'm working through the
posted code and links now and looking at what I can learn from it. One query
though:

On 12 Oct 2011, at 16:42, Heinrich Giesen wrote:
> Another rule of thumb is: if you need -[NSImage TIFFRepresentation] you do
> something wrong.
> (There are of course counterexamples).

I've heard this said before, and have mostly eliminated it from my code.
However the cocoadev page on NSBitmapImageRep does specifically say "A correct
use of TIFFRepresentation is one that sends the resulting data outside of the
process. For example, write to disk, write to pasteboard, write to network". So
is there a particular reason why there is a problem with my line:
[[destImage TIFFRepresentation] writeToFile:destFile atomically:NO];

Thanks