On Oct 18, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Jens Alfke wrote:

> To help bind my data model to AppKit tables, I’ve written a custom class that
> implements KVC collection accessors to define a mutable-array property. That
> is, it implements methods like -countOfEntries, objectInEntriesAtIndex:,
> insertObject:inEntriesAtIndex, etc. I can then bind this as the contentArray
> property of an NSArrayController, and use that controller to drive a table
> view and master-detail UI.
>
> I’d like to avoid using a separate class, though (so I can make this setup
> more easily reusable.) Is it feasible to subclass NSArrayController and put
> the collection access methods in the subclass? Then I’d just have an
> “EntryArrayController” class I could drop into my nib. From the docs I can’t
> figure out whether this is an appropriate thing to do.

There is no reason that an NSArrayController cannot manage its own content (in
fact it is coded to do so), but the idea that the content would be "keyed" is
odd, as there generally isn't any need to. I.e., the array controller would not
bind to itself, and if any other array controller wants its content it can
simply bind to arrangedObjects. So the whole collection KVC stuff is
unnecessary.

In your subclass you could use the machinery afforded by
automaticallyPreparesContent, or simply set the content on awakeFromNib or
whenever it is needed.

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.