On Oct 20, 2011, at 8:56 PM, Don Quixote de la Mancha
<quix...@dulcineatech.com> wrote:

> For C++, you would need to throw an exception on I/O error, then write
> exception-safe code.  I have not yet really figured out the right way
> to do the equivalent for Objective-C, because Objective-C exceptions
> don't work like C++ exceptions do.

This is what NSError is for. You would return NO (or some other similar value
indicating unsuccessful completion) and return an NSError by reference.

FWIW, Objective-C exceptions do behave like C++ exceptions (the exception
machinery is the same on modern runtimes), but are not _used_ like C++
exceptions. Throwing an exception from Objective-C code is used to signal
programmer error, not general failure to complete an operation.