>> Note that (so far as Mac OS X is concerned - I don't know about iOS) this
>> only happens with the 64-bit runtime on Intel, on Lion.  Previous runtimes
>> don't even have this optimisation, and there's somewhat surprisingly no
>> 32-bit implementation of the critical callerAcceptsFastAutorelease().
>
> That’s true, in the sense that ARC itself is not supported on the old runtime
> at all, let alone optimizations related to it.

"ARC is supported in Xcode 4.2 for Mac OS X v10.6 and v10.7 (64-bit
applications) and for iOS 4 and iOS 5. Weak references are not supported in Mac
OS X v10.6 and iOS 4."

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#releasenotes/ObjectiveC/RN-TransitioningToARC/_index.html_______________________________________________