On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Jean-Daniel Dupas
<devli...@shadowlab.org> wrote:
> Le 9 nov. 2011 à 07:44, Don Quixote de la Mancha a écrit :
>> While the Space Shuttle exploded twice, I hasten to point out that
>> neither of those failures was due to software bugs.
>>

> No, but Ariane 5 first launch failure was ;-)
>

> -- Jean-Daniel

I wrote my UC Santa Cruz undergraduate thesis on the French side of
CERN, as part of the Spin Muon Collaboration.  The main work of our
group was to to determine the contribution by virtual particles such
as Gluons to Neutrons and Protons.  This required a ten million dollar
superconducting magnetic solenoid, with the nucleons being convinced
to line up with the magnetic field by being extra-cooled with some
arcanely thermodynamic process involving Helium-3.

"It comes from Atom Bombs," said one of the elderly Physicists.

That ten million dollar magnet was constructed by our French
colleagues.  Only after getting the whole thing installed and cooled
to a temperature very near absolute zero did anyone thing to ask our
French friends whether the superconducting magnet wires were wound
clockwise or counterclockwise.

They didn't know!

I don't actually know how they did it, but it was the Germans members
of our collaboration who figured out the magnet winding direction
without having to warm it up and take it all apart.

I learned during that Summer that CERN was created in large part to
help put an end to Europe's endless history of warfare.  Perhaps that
was a better way for the Germans to one-up the French than shooting at
them.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation