On Nov 20, 2011, at 5:48 AM, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> On 2011 Nov 16, at 17:16, Tom Harrington wrote:
>
>> I'm finding that if I use nested managed object contexts,
>> awakeFromInsert will be called twice on new objects.
>
>> I'm wondering if this is a Core Data bug or a documentation bug.
>
> I'd say it's a pretty serious Core Data bug.  I've not had an occasion to use
> nested managed object contexts yet, but I put things in -awakeFromInsert that
> I only want to happen once.

It's certainly not explicitly documented, however a quick scan of the iOS
forums finds another 3 developers who've discovered the same thing. Is it
really the same object however? It can't be, right, they have different
addresses, so Core Data is arguably doing what the documentation says, it's
calling awakeFromInsert only once in the object's lifetime, you just have two
objects, one in each context.

What does the object look like when you get the second call? Has Core Data
literally just created it in the second MOC and is calling awakeFromInsert on
it before (I assume) populating the data on it from the original, or is it
already a clone of the first, with properties and relationships set on it? If
the former that seems not too inconsistent, new object in new store gets called
to set up defaults before the properties you set on it are cloned over, if the
second case, that's much harder to deal with (and sounds like a bug)