On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Richard Somers
<rsomers.li...@infowest.com> wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2011, at 5:11 AM, Peter Hudson wrote:
>
>> I have an NSTableView whose position I want to control purely
>> programatically.
>>
>> How do I stop the user from changing its position using the mouse -
>> including two finger swipe gestures ?
>
> The position of the NSTableView is set with -initWithFrame: along with all of
> the various frame methods. Column adjustment is controlled with
> -setAllowsColumnReordering: and -setAllowsColumnResizing:.

-initWithFrame: really doesn't matter here, since the table view is
contained within an NSScrollView and will automatically resize itself
to fit its content.

Peter, AFAIK there's no way to disable user-initiated scrolling in an
NSScrollView via API. If this is the same scenario as your previous
thread, where you had one data table, a row header table, and a column
header table, then you've got a couple of options as far as I can
tell, all of them pretty advanced:

1. Subclass NSTableView and override -scrollWheel: and
-swipeWithEvent: to do nothing. This is probably the easiest method,
but the most likely to result in Whack-A-Mole of finding new ways that
scrolling can be performed and plugging those holes. You might also
need to subclass NSScrollView's implementation of these methods.

2. Embed the row and column NSTableViews inside NSClipViews _without_
an enclosing NSScrollView. Change the code from our previous
discussion to message the header views' clip views directly, rather
than going through the -enclosingScrollView method. Essentially this
means changing [tableView scrollPoint:] to [clipView
setBoundsOrigin:].

3. Put all three table views inside one NSScrollView. Subclass
NSScrollView and override -tile to arrange the three views correctly.
Having tried similar things myself, this is a fairly difficult
endeavor. It might not even be possible.

Is there a particular reason you wish to disable user-initiated
scrolling in this view? Perhaps you can just turn off visible
scrollers in your other table views to maintain the illusion that this
is just one big table view.

--Kyle Sluder