(Apologies if this is the wrong list, searching around it seems like this is
the list where AVFoundation is most discussed - please point me to the right
list if I'm in the wrong one!)

Hello List,

I'm hoping to grab from a webcam at greater than 30hz.  I purchased a Philips
SPZ6500/27 for this purpose, which claims to support up to 90hz grabbing.  It
also claims to be a UVC camera.  My initial thought is to use AVFoundation
Capture, because it looks like the way to go for new development, and looks
like it supports directly access/setting hardware specific parameters like
frame rate.  I've tried AVRecorder to make sure that the camera works with
AVFoundation, and everything works well running the example code and viewing
the camera output.  However, when I added code to enumerate the formats
("AVCaptureDevice::formats"), nothing over 30hz shows up in the list.

I'm hoping the collective wisdom of the list can help with some basic
questions, before I go too far down a wrong path:
-Is it possible to grab at greater than 30hz with AVFoundation, or is that a
maximum frame rate that's part of the spec?
-If I feel a format exists that isn't listed in the "AVCaptureDevice::formats",
is there any chance of success manually defining that format and trying to get
the AVCaptureDevice to accept it (or similarly, perhaps it is possible to
manually inform AVFoundation of the camera capabilities earlier in the process)?

-Other options:
 - If this particular camera isn't well behaved, are there any known-compatible
cameras that can capture faster than 30hz?
 - Is there another API to look at in this case to get the camera data at
higher frame rates?

Thanks for any tips!!
Jesse