Wrote my first UINavigationController container yesterday, appeared to work
just fine. It's a particularly dumb one which displays the views from two
contained UIViewControllers side by side. I'm using it to show on one page what
on my iPhone app shows on two pages, by putting the two VCs together side by
side.

Running it, viewWillAppear: is not called on either of the two contained VCs.
viewDidAppear is called, viewWillDisappear: is called, viewDidDisappear: is
called, but never viewWillAppear:  .. well except if I make the transition a
popover (as opposed to a modal or push), in that case it is called, but that's
not the transition I want.

I've checked that I'm calling addChildViewController: and
didMoveToParentViewController:, and even changed the code to make sure all
those calls are made before the view is even requested let alone added, here's
the code from that class, appearingViewControllers in this case is all of them
and disappearingViewControllers is empty

        // tell each of the controllers we're adding that they are being added
and prepare the ones being removed for removal
        for( UIViewController *controller in appearingControllers )
                [ self addChildViewController:controller ];
        [ disappearingControllers makeObjectsPerformSelector:@selector(
willMoveToParentViewController: ) withObject:nil ];

        [ appearingControllers makeObjectsPerformSelector:@selector(
didMoveToParentViewController: ) withObject:self ];
        [ disappearingControllers makeObjectsPerformSelector:@selector(
removeFromParentViewController ) ];

        // get the views in order
        NSArray *newViews = [ viewControllers valueForKey:@"view" ];

        // views then added to our view

Made no difference, still not called (except if the transition is a popover).
The views are added properly, they show, but viewWillAppear: is never called on
the contained view controllers. When those VCs are used alone in the iPhone app
I get all 4 calls in the order expected.

I've hunted the dev forums, read the documentation to see if there's something
missed, and googled, with no joy. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks