That's what I had originally, addchildvc, add to the subview, call didmove. I
changed it last night when it wasn't working.

I'll go put it back the way it was and see if there's something else I missed.
The whole thing is being triggered in a viewdidload method, wonder if that's
too early because the container VC doesn't have an on screen view. Trying to
think what would be different in a popover.