On Jan 11, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Ross Carter wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2012, at 10:14 PM, James Merkel wrote:
>
>> the default NSParagraphStyle is being applied to my string.
>
> To be precise, a NSParagraphStyle is being applied to your attributed string.
> The NSString does not contain any formatting information.
>
> When you copy rich text, say from TextEdit, you place two sets of data on the
> pasteboard: the rich text data with the NSParagraphStyle and font
> information, and plain text data, which is just the characters. When you
> paste into a document, the receiving app chooses the item on the pasteboard
> that it wants to use. A code editor might prefer the plain text version,
> whereas a word processor would prefer the rich text version.
>
> If you want the text to line up neatly in an app that takes plain text from
> the pasteboard, you probably want to align everything using spaces, as Jens
> said. If you want the text to align in an app that uses rich text, you should
> use tabs and define their location using NSParagraphStyle. To handle both
> possibilities, you need to manage what gets put on the pasteboard. If you are
> using NSTextView, there are some pasteboard methods available for you to
> override.
>
> Ross

I'm using my own defined NSParagraphStyle now for the tabstops and that works
fine. That's a cleaner and more maintainable approach than I was using before.
So thanks to Jens for that suggestion.
I would like to be able to copy and paste to TextEdit and maintain the
attributes (including bolded text). I'll take a look at the pasteboard methods
of NSTextView.

Thanks
Jim Merkel