Sorry for replying to my own post.

Just as I wrote this, I found the "File Type Fixing in -[NSDocument
saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:completionHandler:]" in the release notes.
But this behavior is not acceptable. The read-only files should not be deleted
but the user should be asked for an place to save the new file.

By the way, this worked well in Snow Leopard.

Georg