On Jan 13, 2012, at 12:39 AM, Michael Link wrote:

> the docs seem to indicate that using a main thread concurrency type MOC on
> the main thread without performBlock: is fine.

It is, otherwise you couldn't (say) bind to a managed object you fetched via a
main-queue context on OS X.  What OS version(s) are you seeing this with?

> It appears that the private queue is waiting on the PSCs lock which the child
> context on the main thread has already locked. It appears that the child
> context (while holding the PSCs lock) is trying to dispatch_sync to the
> parent context and thus they are both waiting for each other.
>
> Is PriveQueue -> MainQueue a supported configuration? It seems most people
> still have the parent context on the main thread.

Using a parent private-queue context and a child main-queue context is actually
a good design.  I'm not sure about your deadlock; does it still occur if you
don't use -performBlock: on your main-queue context but just interact with it
directly?

  -- Chris