On 28 Jan 2012 08:46:48 -0800 Quincey Morris wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2012, at 08:19 , Brad Stone wrote:
>
>> I have a shoebox app like iPhoto where the actual filename is irrelevant to
>> the user.   I control the file name.
>>
>> What I'd like to do is just capture the menu items before they're displayed
>> and change the menu titles into something relevant to the user.  In the
>> scheme of things it's a minor way to access the info in my app so if I could
>> eliminate them that would be OK too.  Changing the filename is not an option
>> at this point.
>
> It seems to me you can subclass NSDocumentController, then override
> 'noteNewRecentDocument:' to do nothing. Presumably this will keep your
> filename off the "Open Recent" submenu, the "Recent Items" item on the Apple
> menu, and the dock menu. Then you should be able to delete the "Open Recent"
> item itself, and be left with no traces of recent items from your app.
>
> If you wanted to go the extra mile, you could create your own recent-items
> implementation, driven from your 'noteNewRecentDocument:' override, and using
> the 'applicationDockMenu:' application delegate method, with whatever
> document identifiers you want.

My app is not document based so I call noteNewRecentDocumentURL: directly to
add the filename to the Open Recent submenu list.
If I comment that line of code out then the document is not added to the list
as expected. Also, the Dock menu "Show Recents" shows nothing and the filename
is not added to  the Dock menu list.

So yes, noteNewRecentDocument; (which calls noteNewRecentDocumentURL: ) is the
key to the whole thing.

Jim Merkel